If you would like to see a London gynaecologist to investigate infertility or subfertility, call our clinic for an appointment.
Infertility or subfertility is the term used to describe a delay in conception of more than one year. Most healthy couples will conceive in about six months with unprotected intercourse.
Three important areas need to be checked if there is a delay in conceiving.
The woman must be proven to be ovulating regularly, her tubes need to be patent or open to allow sperm to travel to the egg and her partner must have adequate sperm that are normal and motile in his semen.
Your management by our woman gynaecologist will consist of:
- A full history of your condition and contraceptive history
- A pelvic examination and vaginal swab if necessary to check for problems that may be causing the delay.
- A female hormone profile blood test.
- An ultrasound pelvic scan to exclude ovarian problems, such as polycystic ovaries
- A semen analysis on the male partner.
- Information on your most fertile time.
- Initiation of a menstrual calendar record and ovulation prediction advice.
- Follicle or egg tracking scans at the time of ovulation.
- Investigation of the patency of the Fallopian tubes.
It may take several cycles of observations to reach the correct conclusion and help couples to conceive.
Our woman gynaecologist will guide you through early pregnancy as well and check the fetus regularly for growth and development in the early stages of pregnancy.
Subfertility is a distressing condition for couples to cope with and disappointment and frustration can be felt.
Our London gynaecologist also has the knowledge and ability to guide couples towards assisted conception if this is necessary after full work up, advice and help.